Monday, January 21, 2008

First Week of Classes, Home Again?

I'm freaking out less about money. Willingly saying no to things that cost money is a lot easier than I had imagined. I applied to that job, but I still haven't heard from them...I should probably call or visit them again tomorrow to find out if I got the job. I'm kinda nervous because in this case, no news is probably bad news, right?
So, now that I'm done with going on and on about my finances, let me write a bit about my classes.
First class of the week is Geology. I'm actually not dreading the boredom of the lecture as much as I had been. I've realized that I know quite a few people in the lecture--like Karl and Tia from SkyMansion! The three of us are intent on doing well and taking good notes in lecture, but at the same time, we're not those creepy kids who sit front row center and get tense if we hear a SOUND other than the professor. Meaning, it'll be fun, and I'm not worried about not being able to focus.
Entonces, tengo espanol dos. Esta clase va a ser mas dificil que espanol uno pero no estoy preocupada. Conozco solo un amigo pero los estudiantes son simpaticos.
News Writing is going to be a good class. I was dreading this class because I've heard horror stories about it, but once I met my instructor, my nerves subsided a bit. Professor Sharp is a kind woman who is clear about what she wants and seems really helpful and open to ideas. However, I turn in my first story tomorrow and maybe I'll be venting about how horrible and mean she is next week when I get my story back, murdered with red ink. Tomorrow I also find out how I did on the grammar evaluation we took the first day of class. If I scored higher than an 80, it's not important that I go to the grammar slammer sessions every week, which doesn't fit into my schedule anyway. If I scored lower, than it is "highly recommended" that I attend the weekly sessions. Hopefully, my training from Mrs. R in 8th grade didn't fail me.
I feel as though I'm missing a class...
Oh! Elements of Modern Mathematics! This class is such a joke from as far as I can see right now. It's absolutely ridiculous how simple the math we're doing is. My friend AJ from SkyMansion is also in the class, and we are dumbstruck by the pace and manner in which the class is taught. But we figure OH WELL, we'd love to have a nice cushy math grade!

And then there is fencing! I love love love love the fact that I'm going to be doing fencing, even if it's very little. I really miss being able to go to all the practices and meets, and even though this class won't be anywhere near as intense as the Ps' practices, it'll still be something! I just wish it weren't only one night per week!

And of course, I wouldn't be back in Syracuse if I didn't feel that little pinch of sadness that comes from missing Gabriel. I know it's sad that it's only been a week and I miss him, but I like being able to see him all the time...or at least SOME times. I don't think this semester will be as tragically difficult as last semester was, but that doesn't mean that I'm not thinking about him and different things we could be doing. I hope I get to see him during this semester. I hope so sooo badly, but if it doesn't work out that way, I can't wait until the summer. =)

Can I just say that Syracuse doesn't feel the same as it did last semester? I feel as though some of the dynamic has changed. People have less of a presence, I'm seeing people differently, and some people have just kinda changed I think. I guess it was bound to happen. I mean everything seemed magically perfect last semester when everything was very new, even at the end of the semester. Now, this place and routine is old hat for us, and some of that shiny newness has rubbed off. I'm not saying that I'm unhappy here now, because that's not true for a second. I'm just feeling a little bit like I need to adjust again. I have a feeling that some of it is my fault. Once I get comfortable with something, I become more reserved and quiet. But I need to realize that if I change, than other things change. Dynamics change. But I can't always be that excited freshman, eager to make new friends and have a great time. I'm not saying that that was an act or that I wasn't being myself, but after awhile, I can't do it anymore and just want to be comfortable again, but something just doesn't seem completely right.

It's only the first week back though. I'm sure everything will sink into normality, and I'll feel at home once again.

No comments: