Sunday, February 22, 2009

And the Oscar Goes To...

So I guess a lot of people write about the Oscars. There are always a few good topics to go off of: the fashion for the red carpet lovers and the awards for the the film fans. I am one of those people who fall under both. I need to talk about both of the topics that filled my night last night.
As I watched, my friend, slightly inebriated (alright, he was drunk*), wrote a "Live Oscar Note" which I had great fun talking to him about and, at times, offering my own insights on the evening.
*Please note that mentioned friend is 21 years old and there was no illegal underage drinking involved.

Here is MY chance, though, to share my thoughts and feelings on everything from beginning to end. But don't worry, I won't comment on everything--just award my own superlatives and comment on a few things.
Let it begin!
Just like they begin, I will begin with fashion on the Red Carpet:
Best Dressed: Amy Adams.
I realize that there are people who weren't fans (ahem, Perez Hilton) of Miss Adam's look on the red carpet, but I absolutely loved the red/turquoise combination. It's elegant and sophisticated in my book. Also, it's not really a color combination that many people see on the red carpet, giving her a unique, unexpected look. I will admit that I wasn't completely sold on the necklace at first: I thought it was a bit too heavy for her petite frame, but as I examined her ensemble further, I realized that it was that piece that really sold me on the entire look. The dress is simple enough to warrant such a loud piece and it dresses up her chest and shoulder area quite a bit. I also appreciated that her other accessories, including her hair and make-up did not compete with the jewelry. I hate when anyone goes with several loud pieces, but the simplicity of the rest of the entire get-up only accentuates her choice in the piece and her beauty. I'm actually really impressed by this because I'm really not a fan of redheads wearing red.
Other nominees: Taraji P. Henson and Penelope Cruz

Worst Dressed: Tilda Swinton.
I really, really, really want someone to tell that woman (really?) that sacs are not appropriate for the red carpet! At least this year it wasn't a black velvet one. I will, in fact, admit that Swinton looked a lot better this year, the two tones at least broke up the bagginess of the ugliness. Maybe I'm opposed to her Red Carpet looks because I find her not very attractive at all (am I really alone on that one?), but I think the woman (again, really?) could use some guidance from Valentino or Galliano.
Seriously, I think that if she were to have a dress with a gorgeous silhouette and her hair done in such a way that was a little less harsh than all pulled away from her face and lost the harsh red lip that she wouldn't appear as appallingly scary as she does usually. I realize that she is a bit older than some of the women strutting down the Red Carpet and is not going to don a slink number or anything too glittery, but can't she take a page out of Merryl Streep's book and look sophisticated but glamorous and fashionable? I really don't think it's all too much to ask for.
Other Nominees: Jessica Biel and Reece Witherspoon

Best Red Carpet Interviewer: Tim Gunn.
I'm biased. I would love for this man to be my best friend. He's a perfect gentleman, he knows fashion and is just such a pleasure to talk with. At least, I think he would be. Man, if only I could meet him and talk to him. It would be such a pleasure. Unfortunately, ABC was not doing very long Red Carpet interviews, so Tim Gunn had very little extensive screen time. But when he was on the screen, he was so nice, respectful to the stars and so complimentative. Plus, you KNOW he's best friends with Heidi Klum, which is awesome (even though she almost made the worst dressed nomination list. She let that dress wear her.)
No other nominees as Tim Gunn has stolen my heart. Tim Gunn, if you're there, please, let's get lunch soon! And we'll go shopping so you can teach me what I need to know.

Worst Red Carpet Interviewer: Ryan Seacrest.
No one likes him. He's annoying, he's nosy when unnecessary and he gets way too much screen time. The only reason E! keeps him around is that they like having the exclusives from American Idol. Totally not worth it.

Best New Aspect of the Academy Awards: (Supporting) Actor/Actress Presenters.
Receiving an Oscar is a very prestigous achievement. Each winner is essentially initiated (or re-initiated in the case of the amazing and lucky ones) into an amazing fraternity of talent and respect. The fact that they had previous recipients present the acting awards really showcased that initiation. The montage before each category was not annoying and the personalization of each nominee's intro was a classy touch. It really kicked the show up a classy notch, unfortunately I cannot say the same thing for including Sophia Loren in the Best Actress presentation. As my inebriated friend proposed to his readers: "Sophia Loren looks like a zombie. Toss up: who's more dead - Mickey Rourke or Sophia Loren?"
Other Nominees: Not having the host on the stage for very long.

Worst Aspect of the Academy Awards: Incorporating Vanessa Hudgens (and Zac Efron*) into the Musical Medley.
I found the medley to be weak in general. There were some really rough transitions between songs and some of it was a bit sloppy. Then there's all the talk about Beyoncé pulling an Ashlee Simpson. Did she lip sync? Maybe she did, and maybe she didn't; but at least everyone knows she does have the voice (I can admit despite not being a fan) where as Ashlee? That's debatable. But what really threw the the reputation of the number out for me was the incorporation of Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron. I don't think they really had any right to be on that stage on a night dedicated to the theatrial elite. I realize that ABC is a faction of Disney, Inc., but I would really like if they stopped forcing their teeny-bopper, cookie-cutter stars into my life. I deal with hearing all about Hannah Montana and High School Musical from my seven-year-old cousin at family functions. Can't the adults have one night free of these hyper-commercialized teens?
*Please not that Efron's performance/inclusion was less obnoxious because of his role in Hairspray, BUT his true association is still with Disney.

Luckiest Cast and Crew: Slumdog Millionaire.
Alright, so I haven't seen the movie--yet. But I feel like it shouldn't have SWEPT 8 awards! Wall-E had a phenomenal sound mixing. In fact no one probably would have liked Wall-E as much had it not been for the awesome mixing. It's also probably unfair that Slumdog won both Best Score and Best Song.
Don't get me wrong-- I'm happy that Slumdog was celebrated, but it's not longer the strong-hearted underdog movie that people want recognized. Now it's the massive bully movie that makes all the other movies feel like shit.

Most Deserved Win: Dustin Lance Black AND Heath Ledger
Maybe some people won't greewith this because his win was for a screeplay bout a gay political activist. What do I mea? Let's face it: there's a bias in the Academy. Afterall, these are people voting for these so objectivity is impossible. So some people that that a screenplay about queer political activism winning is just playing into that. I disagree. Okay, so this another movie that I haven't seen (YET!), but I've heard so many good things about it, especially the writing. Maybe I'll change my mind once I've seen it, but I have an idea that it really is an amazing screenplay. Sean Penn's win, however, may be a result of that subjectivity. Let's look at a little bit of history of actors in gay roles: Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote--WIN. Tom Hanks for Philadelphia--WIN. But writing is different. If it's bad writing, not even Marlon Brando could save it (yes, he is my stand-by reference for an acting god), but wen the writing is good, it's gool. And it seems like Black had gold and Penn just got to reap the benefits.

And regarding Heath Ledger: Duh. Tragedy or no tragedy, when an actor can transform himself into something completely unrecognizable to become such a pop culture symbol, that's Oscar Worthy.

No comments: