Saturday, May 3, 2008

Syracuse Adventure: Pastabilities

I understand that a lot of people have been to Pastabilities before, but last night was a first-time opportunity for me.
The other day was my birthday and my friends and I decided to go out for a special dinner--we decided on a carbo-load---and OH what an experience.
It wasn't too difficult to get to. From Main Campus, it is easy for students to take either the Warehouse Route or Connective Corridor bus downtown, conveniently near Armory Square and the restaurant.
It's a large restaurant, much larger than it appears from the outside. However Pastabilities is a local favorite and can get very busy, so it is recommended that you get a reservation for during the week, or arrive early on the weekend when they don't accept reservations.
My friends and I, a group of 7, arrived around 5:30 and were seated within 5 minutes.
The menu is a little limited. I was expecting a few more dishes to be offered, and was disappointed that there wasn't much more to choose from. But the choices they did have all seemed enticing. Everyone in my party wound up getting something different and enjoying it greatly.
The portions were large, but not unmanageable. I hate when you go to a restaurant and can't even fathom how they expect you to finish the dish in front of you within a week. I was only able to eat half of my Seafood Marinara before I started feeling full. Had I not eaten so much bread beforehand, I probably could have eaten almost all of the pasta.
The pasta was excellent, as I would expect. My meal came with scallops, which were so delicious!
The one thing that did surprise me was the bread. I was a little disappointed that the bread they serve is not warm. However, instead of butter or oil being served with it, a slightly spicy, warm tomato sauce was served and it was just so good!
The prices for the meals were steep, but not astronomical. Expect about a $15 charge per plate, plus anything else you order.
I will definitely going back sometime soon. My eyes are set on some their other dishes.

No comments: